Friday, March 31, 2017

Drawing a Dragon

Art is a slow but rewarding process.
Since completing the writing, rewriting, editing, and revising of my soon-to-be-released book, Slaying Dragons, I have spent most of my free time sketching out a cover for the book. Anytime I put the sharpened tip of a pencil to a blank page I feel a degree of anxiety, afraid that the picture I envision will fail to appear on the paper. And honestly, the end product is never exactly what I imagined. However, it never fails to amaze me how stroke-by-stroke my artwork comes to life. I thought it would be fun to share one character with you that will be on the front cover of Slaying Dragons. I hope you are looking forward to the final product as much as I am!




First, I sketch out the dragon in pencil.
Lots of erasing and penciling and erasing takes place at this point.








Next, I use permanent black ink and outline what was sketched in pencil. I take great care with every stroke because there is no erasing black ink! Then the image is scanned into the computer where I can use an app to add color.




Amazing what a little color, shading, and highlighting can do... and a bit of fire in the eyes.






I did some tweaking here and there before adding wings. And voila! Here is the dragon that will appear on the cover of Slaying Dragons.
What do you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: