Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Slaying Dragons Week―Day 2

Slaying Dragons: Quotes, Poetry, & a few Short Stories for Every Day of the Year

I am celebrating this week in honor of my newly-released collection of original quotes, poetry, and short stories. Part of "Slaying Dragons Week" includes sharing a daily quote from the book as well as a bit of trivia relating to the making of it. Here is the quote for today:

"My soul, I’ve found, has puppet strings
to make me droop or give me wings.
And music is the puppeteer
that turns my ear to hear." 

Did you know that every quote, poem, and story in this book was based on events and experiences in my own life? I suppose you could call it a journal of sorts, filled with personal insights as well as lessons learned. Most of the motivational quotes were written for me as encouragement to keep climbing towards my goals. Every entry has a personal story that inspired it.

For example, the poem above was written after I had gone for weeks without listening to music. Having a lot on my mind, I made my drives in silence and carried out my chores without what I felt was "noise distraction". Then one day in the car, I turned on my music. I experienced such an intense emotional reaction to the music, that it entirely lightened my mood. I felt less burdened with cares. I felt happier than I had for weeks. I understood right then the power music has to sway our moods, even affect our physical being. I began again to listen to the kind of music that put a smile on my face and a hop in my step. From this experience, the above poem developed.

So remember, when you read Slaying Dragons there is more behind the words than you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: