Saturday, September 2, 2017

Writer's Block




     Writer's block can be a real hurdle (or at least a speed bump) for authors. Most deal with some form of writer's block on and off throughout the creative process. As for me, there is always a story or a poem or an observation about human nature brewing in my head wanting to be jotted down. At times, the words flow smoothly. Other times, I struggle to put my ideas into sentences. Regardless, I force myself to write when I have the time, knowing I can edit my work later.

     One thing I do naturally that helps me avoid writer's block is switch between two or three works in progress. I might type out five chapters in one book and then set it aside while writing a few new chapters in another. If I'm unsure about a developing story, I work on some other book until inspiration sorts out the hazy details in the first. Knowing I can juggle works in progress alleviates the pressure to force out chapters when I'm up against a mental wall.

     The bottom line, however, is a writer must sit down and simply write. Have faith. Writer's block or not, great ideas emerge most readily when engaged in the process of actually writing.

     ― Richelle E. Goodrich

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: