Tuesday, March 8, 2016

I Slay Dragons at Night


I slay dragons at night while you sleep. 
I see by the way your face contorts how they exist in your dreams. 
Willing a magic sword, I plunge into your deepest nightmares and swing at the beasts with all my might, dodging flames exhaled by monsters that would eat me alive to go on torturing the fair one I love. I see your face relax, eyes still drowsily closed, when the mighty dragon is slain. 
It may be that my fingers rub soft circles on your forehead as I imagine my brave fight as a knight reclaiming your dreams. You smile under the spell of my touch, and I am rewarded.

And so, my love, as I await the dawn, I stand ready to slay dragons while you sleep.

― Richelle E. Goodrich, Slaying Dragons
 Copyright 2016 Richelle E. Goodrich

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: