Thursday, November 22, 2012

Cu Rhantaco!

     It is almost Thanksgiving, a day to count our blessings and express gratitude to those who have enriched our lives. For me, there are a great many family, friends, and even strangers I wish to thank for their kind and supportive gestures.

     But as I attempt to convey my thanks, it hits me that the words thank you seem too simple and utterly lacking. Though genuinely offered, this over-used expression leaves me frustrated because the depth of my appreciation is less than adequately communicated by that time-worn phrase.  When I say "thank you," I mean so much more!

Can you see my dilemma? I need a new expression of gratitude that by definition imparts stronger feelings. I know, you might believe that expanding the sentiment does the trick. And yes, I did play with the idea.

           With heartfelt thanks  

       My deepest thanks  

       Many, many thanks

 With sincere thanks   
Thank you kindly  
 Immeasurable thanks  
 Thank you greatly  
 Thank you immensely 
 Thank you from the deepest recesses of my heart


But alas!  These all seem lacking.

It occurs to me that a Harrowbethian word encompasses more of what I’m searching for
having stronger meaning and emotion packed in a single utterance. By definition, the Harrowbethian equivalent of "thank you" communicates greater sentiment and esteem.  So here it is...

rahntaco: (rahn’-tah-coh) Such abundant appreciation overwhelms me that it spills over in search of you. 

Now, is that not better than, uh... Thanks?

So surrounding this lovely Thanksgiving holiday, I would like to send out a heartfelt rahntaco to my family, friends, fans, and all who have helped me along my journey by supporting my writing ambitions. 

 


Cu rahntaco!

And in case you're wondering, Co cohme (coh'  coh-meh) means you're welcome.


If you are interested in learning a few more Harrowbethian phrases (called Bethan tongue) visit the HARROWBETH page on my author website.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: