Saturday, June 17, 2023

This Father's Day

Picture 

THIS Father's Day
       "A father’s success greatly depends upon his ability to love and be loved."

       This Father's Day will be the first I celebrate without my dad. He passed away in a hospital earlier this year at the age of 81. I miss him. His last days were not pleasant; he fought pain and dementia. It was hard to have him leave this world, though none of us wanted to see him continue on in pain. 
       I am grateful for the positive things my dad taught me while he was alive: to have integrity and self-confidence, to be kind to others, to work hard, and to never give up no matter how difficult things get. No, he was not a perfect parent, but neither was I. The two important things we have in common are that we tried to do the very best we could for our kids within our circumstances, and we both love our kids completely and unconditionally. I know my dad loved us. He loved his wife, his kids, his grandkids, and great-grandkids with a big heart. I am grateful for that love.
       It is true that we feel a person's absence strongly, that we appreciate a relationship so much more after the fact. So, for those of you who still have a loving father on this earth, spend some time with him. Appreciate his presence in your life now. Give him a hug, a call, a bit of your time. A father who loves you and tries his best is a precious gift.
       Happy Father's Day to all the hardworking, loving fathers out there and to the ones we miss who watch over us from heaven.

Richelle E. Goodrich 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: