Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Ask the Author


     For me, the absolute best thing about writing is the time I spend in make-believe worlds where I share adventures with characters of my own design. It brings great joy into my days and often helps me cope with real life characters whom, unfortunately, I cannot shape to my liking with an enchanted ink pen.




     I'm inspired to write in a number of ways. I surround myself with pictures and objects that remind me of stories I'm working on, things like dragons, pirates, model sailing ships, glittering butterflies, and my favorite statue of two fairies embracing. One of the best inspirational tools for me is to simply daydream for a while. Soon enough, I'm reaching for a pen and notebook to write down the dreamed adventure.




     First, if you want to be a writer, then WRITE! Spend less time thinking, studying, researching, learning, worrying about the art and just write! Write a sentence, a paragraph, a page every day of your life—about anything and everything. Scribble out a poem, a quote, a set of instructions, a portion of a developing novel, a letter to a friend, and so on. Read your work over and edit it. Then set it aside for a while before reading and editing it again. The point is,writing and re-writing are the exercises for authors that lead to excellence.

     Secondly, READ everything. Read books, articles, recipes, blogs, letters, cereal boxes, and so on. Pay attention to the details that draw you in. Note what causes you to lose interest. Keep a journal of what you learn, and refer to it now and then.

     Thirdly, pick up a basic GRAMMAR book and memorize it; put that knowledge to use.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: