Friday, May 12, 2017

Friday, Countdown to Mother's Day

Throughout this week before Mother's Day, I have been sharing things that I am extremely thankful to have gained from my mother. And because I love quotes and poetry, each day has included an original quote pertaining to mothers.  If you missed these notes of gratitude from earlier days this week, see my previous posts. Enjoy this one for today.


Day 3
    




O
ne thing I associate with my mother is a great love for art. From my youngest memories, I recall her putting a paintbrush to canvas and—stroke by stroke—creating beautiful images. Painting was her talent and hobby, and she spent much of her free time enjoying the creative process.



My mother used her artistic gift on many occasions to created props and scenery for scouting, school, and church functions. Over the years she created multiple backdrops for different scenes in the Christmas nativity story. It is a tradition that our extended family preforms this play every year using her painted backdrops. Sometimes my mother gave her paintings away as gifts. One of her original oils hangs on the wall in my front room. (See the painting above.) It evokes a calm, inviting effect on those who pause to appreciate the scene.

   My own love for art is a result of my mother's creative example. She gave me the confidence to design the covers for each of my authored books. Perhaps a greater blessing is the influence she has had on her grandchildren, most of whom she taught to paint to some degree. I know that a few of them won ribbons at the local county fair with her help. (The dragon painting was done by my son with his grandmother's guidance.)

I am thankful my talented mom chose to use her talent for the benefit of many, and especially to help her children and grandchildren develop their artistic talents as well.


"Without you there would be no me.
I am everything reflected in your eyes.
I am everything approved by your smile.
I am everything born of your guidance.
I am me only because of you."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: