Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Wednesday, Countdown to Mother's Day

This whole week before Mother's Day I am sharing things which I am extremely thankful to have gained from my mother. And because I love quotes and poetry, each day from now until Mother's Day will include an original quote pertaining to mothers.  If you missed the notes of gratitude for Monday or Tuesday, see my previous posts.


Day 5
 
Hours form days which turn to months that build into years. When looking back, it seems time passes rather swiftly. Living in each moment, it may feel as if very little gets accomplished. Yet evidence of great change and mounting achievements can be seen in journal entries, photographs, and other collected keepsakes. 
My siblings and I were lucky that our mother understood how silly scraps would someday become treasures, and she kept them in order to preserve a portion of our childhood. For tens of years my mother gathered progress reports, scouting achievements, playbills, programs from musical events, ordinance certificates, grade school papers, and other evidence of milestones in the lives of her children.  I now cherish these items for the memories they revive.
Having learned from my mother to appreciate the value of journaling and scrapbooking, I have followed her example by treasuring up sentimental keepsakes for my own children. Someday, they will look through their boxes of silly scraps and smile and be blessed by a flooding of precious (and some harebrained) memories. 

"I stumble and fall.
I weep and struggle to rise.
My mom feels it all."






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: