Sunday, May 14, 2017

Sunday, Mother's Day

Throughout this week before Mother's Day, I have been sharing things which I am extremely thankful to have gained from my mother. And because I love quotes and poetry, each day has included an original quote pertaining to mothers.  If you missed the notes of gratitude from earlier days this week, see my previous posts. Today I wish all women everywhere a very happy Mother's Day!

We reached Day 1 - Happy Mother's Day!




I would like to quote for you what my son wrote in a penciled-out Mother's Day card he gave to me this morning.  It says "Thank you for always taking care of me, putting up with me, and loving me no matter what." 
Now this homemade card may have been quickly written with little forethought (typical of teenagers) but the message is powerful and effected me deeply. His words hit at the heart of exactly what a mother is meant to be: caring, tolerant, and loving--no matter what. 
I know, sadly, that not everyone who becomes a mother lives up to this divine role.  But my mother did. She cared for me when it was difficult; she put up with me when I behaved selfishly, and she always loved me no matter what. She never shirked this most important earthly role as mother to her children. 

Thank you, Mom, for your tolerance, endurance, sacrifices, and especially your love. I wish you a very happy, most deserved, Mother's Day.   
Yes, I do know how lucky I am.


"Mothers were meant to love us unconditionally, to understand our moments of stupidity, to reprimand us for lame excuses while yet acknowledging our point of view, to weep over our pain and failures as well as cry at our joy and successes, and to cheer us on despite countless start-overs. Heaven knows no one else will."
Richelle E. Goodrich, Making Wishes: Quotes, Thoughts, & a Little Poetry for Every Day of the Year



"I never knew what Mother knowed,
Like how a thread and needle sewed,
And how a kiss healed boo-boos fast.
Why family knots were made to last.

I never knew how Mother saw
A caring man in angry pa,
A smile beneath the teary gloom,
A game inside a messy room.

I never knowed what Mother knew,
Like how to smile when days were blue,
And how to laugh for laughter’s sake,
While giving up her slice of cake.

I never saw what Mother see’d
Like honor pulling garden weeds,
Or deep confessions in a look,
And hope alive in storybooks.

I never knew how Mother knowed
To hand out carrots when it snowed,
And why hot cocoa liked the rain,
While naptime kept a person sane.

For mother knowed and see’d it all.
A winner in a strike-out ball.
A 'yes, please' in a shoulder shrug.
A 'love you mostest' in a hug.

Perhaps, someday, I’ll come to know
What Mother saw and knowed as so.
Like how 'I’m right' can be all wrong,
And why the night requires a song.

But of the things I learned and knew
I never doubted one thing true.
My mother made it crystal clear,
she knowed and loved me ever dear."

Richelle E. Goodrich, Slaying Dragons: Quotes, Poetry, & a few Short Stories for Every Day of the Year








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: