Thursday, November 12, 2020

Being Grateful - Nov 12th

 


This November, I have taken on the challenge of pondering blessings that I commonly overlook. Things I would certainly miss if they were gone, yet scarcely give much thought. My goal is to share daily one typically-ignored blessing for which I am truly thankful.



Nov. 12th:


This morning I was mentally reviewing the long list of things I hoped to get done today (Why, oh why is there never enough time?) when it occurred to me that I am very thankful for a healthy brain that collects and stores a vast amount of information. It is a blessing to have functioning brain cells! 

The miracle is that our brains act much like computers, taking in information, storing it, and then retrieving it at some later date. Have you ever stopped to consider how many facts you recall in a single day? How many memories pop up from the past? How many items you can recall without a shopping list? True, our brains don’t function at 100%, but it is still amazing how various memories resurface at the slightest trigger. 

A song brings up images of my high school prom. A phrase sends me back to a bitter divorce. A smell takes me to the bakery where I decorated cakes while working my way through college. A bowling alley makes me smile recalling my first kiss. Happy memories bring joy. Unhappy ones are lessons learned. All of them make for life experiences that shape who we are—that are shaping who I am. Thank goodness for a brain that stores both short-term and long-term memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: