Monday, November 30, 2020

Being Grateful - Nov 30th

 


This November, I have taken on the challenge of pondering blessings that I commonly overlook. Things I would certainly miss if they were gone, yet scarcely give much thought. My goal is to share daily one typically-ignored blessing for which I am truly thankful.



Nov. 30th:

This past month I have made daily posts about things for which I am thankful, particularly blessings I seldom contemplate. This self-appointed assignment to document my gratitude has been a positive experience. That’s the thing about gratitude, it has great natural benefits.

Gratitude actually improves psychological and physical health. Not all that surprising if you think about it. Feeling thankful is a happy emotion that in turn reduces toxic emotions such as envy, regret, and disappointment. This healthier mental well-being has a positive effect on the body’s physical well-being since happy people are more likely to exercise, treat themselves well, and get medical check-ups. 

Studies have shown that gratitude reduces social comparisons, resulting in improved self-esteem. Counting your blessings before bedtime has been shown to improve the quality and length of sleep. According to some university studies, people who regularly show appreciation are also more likely to be kind and empathetic towards others. Being thankful and appreciative reduces the desire for retaliation, even when the hurt is significant.

There are additional benefits to being a person who is grateful in all things—improved quality in romantic relationships, added friendships, stronger family relationships, reduction in suicidal thoughts, greater satisfaction with life, increased optimism, more generous nature, improved patience, better decision-making, and more! So, this final day of November, I am truly thankful for the rich, abundant benefits of being thankful.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: