Monday, November 2, 2020

Being Grateful - Nov 2nd

 


It is the first day of November, a month of change and transition. A month in which many people celebrate the holiday of Thanksgiving. It is a time that usually includes pondering personal blessings deserving of gratitude. I was thinking about the concept of gratitude when it occurred to me there are blessings I commonly overlook. Things I would certainly miss yet scarcely give much thought. My goal this November is to share daily one typically-ignored blessing for which I am truly thankful.


Nov. 2nd:

I am grateful for the natural ability to grow calluses. When I was a child, I spent a lot of time outside, running around barefoot in the yard, through the garden, and down the road. My heels and toes grew thick calluses to protect my feet from the abrasive edges of rocks, fallen branches, and other potentially hurtful debris. I ran across them without a second thought. It never hurt because of the thickness of the skin underlining my feet.

  

During a short period of my middle-school years, I took up playing the guitar. It was difficult to play at first because it hurt my tender fingers. Again, natural calluses developed to protect my fingers from pain. As a result, playing the guitar became easier.

 

I am thankful for another type of callus that develops as a result of pain and friction, one not physical but emotional (perhaps spiritual) in nature. It forms around the mind and heart when criticism, ridicule, scorn, gossip and such abrasive behaviors are forced on a human being. These calluses help protect a person, making the endurance of malice less painful. They are a blessing of safety and refuge. I am thankful that both types of calluses exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: