Saturday, November 14, 2020

Being Grateful - Nov 14th

 

This November, I have taken on the challenge of pondering blessings that I commonly overlook. Things I would certainly miss if they were gone, yet scarcely give much thought. My goal is to share daily one typically-ignored blessing for which I am truly thankful.



Nov. 14th:


“Why do you think the sky is so blue?”
“Google it, Mom.”
“What is the rule for semicolon use?”
“Google it, Mom.”
“What was that funny quote Shakespeare wrote in As You Like It?”
“Just Google it, Mom!”

It took a long time for my mind to accept that Googling is a legitimate tool for information gathering. My boys use it religiously to research material for schoolwork, but when I was in school, information gathering meant a trip to the library or questioning someone who might know. 

It is mind-boggling to me that nearly anything you want to know today is available online. It is even more mind-boggling to see how many lesson videos are posted, starring pros ready to teach us nearly anything we want to learn. Want to play the guitar? The piano? The drums? Choose from numerous music lessons online. Want to learn how to check the oil in your car? Google it! Want to solve the equation 2+49/7(45-3) = (X/2)+17 and actually get the right answer? Google it! (This is why my kids got their homework done so fast. Hmmm.) 

My point is this: there has never been a time in human history when information and education were so easily and readily available to people all over the world. I am immensely grateful I have access to it. And yes, I use it all the time. (Yes, sometimes just to Google my name, but hey.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: