Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Being Grateful - Nov 9th

 


This November, I have taken on the challenge of pondering blessings that I commonly overlook. Things I would certainly miss if they were gone, yet scarcely give much thought. My goal is to share daily one typically-ignored blessing for which I am truly thankful.



Nov. 9th:


It’s getting colder outside. Today the sky was grey, threatening snow, which got me thinking about the need for snow tires… which got me dreading the possibility of ice on the roads soon… which naturally (or not) got me to thinking about friction. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I am really grateful for friction.

 

Whether you appreciate it or not, there are great advantages to friction. It enables the wheels of my car to move forward and not slip on the road. It enables me to walk for the same reason. Friction makes the brakes work so my car comes to a stop—you ought to be thankful for that! Friction allows me to stack my books high (books I intend to read someday) and keeps them from easily slipping off the pile. Friction allows me to write my notes on a piece of paper before typing up the final draft.

 

If you think about it, there are a lot of benefits to friction: it generates heat, burns up asteroids in the atmosphere, slows down runaway carts, etc. The world would be a different place without it, that’s for sure. I am indeed grateful for the benefits of friction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: